[Radtour Nord1]

Dorstener Geschichte - Station 30: Ortsmitte Lembeck

Ceremonial Sword of Lembeck

8./9. Jh


A settlement consisting of single farms, called Helinun, is recorded
in the leaseholder register of the Monastery of Werden (889-890).
It was located in the Midlicher Muhlbachtal, now the Beck
neighbourhood. During excavations in 1925 and focused
archaeological explorations from 1938, numerous burial objects
were found, including the “Ceremonial Sword of Lembeck”.



The placename “Lehembeke” is mentioned for the first time,
in a donation document from Emperor Henry II to the church
of Paderborn.

Ferdinand III unites Castile and Léon




The parish of Lembeck, consisting of about 900 people, is
mentioned for the first time. It covered the area from Reken to
Holsterhausen and from Altschermbeck to Lippramsdorf.



The von Lembeck family of House Lembeck dies out and is succeeded by the von Westerholt family, through the marriage of a daughter of the von Lembeck family. The last members of the von Westerholt family extended and expanded the castle between 1670 and 1692. In 1708 a daughter of the von Westerholt family brought the castle into the von Merveldt family.



During the Eighty Years’ War, mercenaries plunder the village
and cause great damage.



The first elementary school is established in the castle.

In England King George I dies, who has simultaneously bee

St Michael’s Foundation Hospital




In this year the chapel of the St. Michael´s Foundation,
designed by Johann Schlaun, is officially opened, as the
headquarters of the charity foundation for the widowed
Baroness Westerholt in the Endeln area. After the building
had been extended by a hospital (1842) and an orphanage (1844),
the Sisters of St. Clement took over the task of nursing.
After the closure of the orphanage (1977) and the old
people´s home (1995), Carmelite nuns moved into
the St.Michael´s Foundation.

Lembeck Station



The Oberhausen - Coesfeld railway line is built.
In 1902 Lembeck got a train stop which was later expanded
into a station.



A new building for the Laurentius School (expanded in 1968
and 1984) is opened. The bricks which were not needed
were used to build a new village well, which existed until the
end of the 1960s.

Hitler uses the Berlin Olympics to promote the Third Reich

St Laurentius’ Parish Church




The fifteenth-century St. Laurentius’ Church is reconstructed
as a “cruciform church” and is considerably enlarged
with the help of numerous donations. Its glory was
renewed after another reconstruction and renovation
in 2007.



Towards the end of the war, the village and the castle suffer
from bombardments, heavy fire and looting.



Due to local government reorganisation, Lembeck becomes part of Dorsten.



After extensive preparations and private engagement the former teachers´ house of the Laurentius School is repurposed as a home for disabled people.



Supported by private donations and activities (the ZIGL-project), the attic of the Don Bosco elementary school is converted into classrooms.



The Lembeck old people´s home is completed.

2017 Triple Jubilee



The start of the festive parade on 8th October 2017: riders in historical costume lead the parade.
Throughout the year Lembeck celebrates the 1000th anniversary of its foundation and St. Laurentius parish its 800th. Lembeck castle was completed in its present form 325 years ago.


Daten und Fakten

Eröffnung - 18. Oktober 2008

Adresse - Wulfener Straße, Lembeck / St. Laurentius

Geodaten - N051°45'32'' / E006°59'57''

Feierlicher Eröffnung am 18. Oktober 2008

Durch die Geschichtsstation werden die wichtigsten Punkte in der dörflichen Entwicklung aufgezeigt. Von der ersten urkundlichen Erwähnung im Jahre 1017 bis hin zur Fertigstellung des Lembecker Seniorenzentrums im Jahre 2007 ist alles vertreten. „Endlich sind wir für die gesamte Arbeit belohnt worden und das ist ein gutes Gefühl!“, so Michael Langenhorst.

Doch auch für den Verkehrsverbund Dorsten und Herrlichkeit eröffnet die Geschichtsstation neue Möglichkeiten. Die Geschichtsstation werde ein neuer Ankerpunkt für Radfahrer und Menschen sein, die Lembeck näher erkunden und kennen lernen möchten.